Since the inception of electric aviation in the aeroplane industry, the idea has been enough to start the tickle sensation among the astrophysicists. Primarily, the aeroplanes have been powered up by carbon-based fuels which contain a massive amount of energy to uplift heavy weights or larger commercial planes offer a trip across the world.
As we are aware of the alarming state of declination of oil resources and increment in greenhouse gases, the scientists strive to discover some feasible alternative power source. And it seems, the electric aeroplane is the answer to this dilemma which may hit the skies completely within a period of 10 years.
The primary focuses to deduce such electric models of aircraft are requiring less weight, a flight profile that consumes less fuel and reducing drag with improved aerodynamics.
As per the International Air Transport Association’s report, air transport emits 2% of man-made global CO2 emissions which may not sound alarming but it is. Due to the small number of percentage, we should not avoid the fact that this 2% is equal to 859 million tonnes of CO2 in the globe. As per the economic status research, the population of air passengers will rise to approximate 7.8 billion by 2036. And due to this, our world needs an aviation which is somewhat sustainable.
Advantages In Nutshell
The big airline companies are working hard to increase the efficiency and offsetting emissions. The main focus is to switch from carbon-based fuels to renewable energy sources. Before studying more about the future of aeroplanes, let’s understand some of the main amazing advantages of electric aviation:
- Efficiency ‒ Breaking the traditional norms, the electric planes are the answer to carbon-based fuel aircraft. Electric based aircraft is estimated to save up to 10% fuel than traditional planes. They will also be emission-free.
- Noise reduction ‒ Electric planes will be quieter than the traditional aircraft and thus, their ports can be made near to residential areas.
- Flexibility ‒ The electric aircraft will be lighter and thus, can land on short notices and on relatively short runways. Due to the same factor, the electric planes do not need massive areas for landing and taking and can be made in the city areas. Congested are won’t be a problem in future.
- First Priority For Remote Areas ‒ In future, electric aeroplanes can use them as traditional transport to go to the remote areas. It will save the investment of expensive infrastructures like railway tracks and roads. Connectivity will be far easier than now.
Amazing Discoveries Yet
Many aircraft have already been, some are in their pilot projects and some are still in the testing mode. But some amazing news:
- ElectraFlyer-ULS from Electric Aircraft Corporation is now commercially available with a whopping less than 254 pounds weight. Classified as ultra light-weight aircraft, it doesn’t require any pilot license and registration. This aircraft will provide service for up to two hours per charge.
- The Taurus Electro by Pipistrel is an unpowered two-seat glider features landing gear retract and a powerful electric motor that provides better climb performance.